The Naumkeags, a peaceful woodland tribe, had summer encampments in
the region's coastal areas for several centuries. Much reduced in number
by European epidemics by 1619, their Chief Nanepashemet was killed near
the Mystic River by the warlike Tarrantines of Maine. Friendly and nonresistant,
the Naumkeags were driven gradually away by the settling Englishmen.
A 1684 deed officially sealed Marblehead's claim to all the land now
occupied by the Town, signed by Chief Nanepashemet's surviving descendant's.
At his mother's death in 1667, Winepoykin assumed authority
over the area east of the Charles River. Called "George" by
the English, he was shipped to the West Indies as a slave after the
wars if the 1670s but was retrieved in 1684 with the Town's minister's
help to negotiate terms of purchase of Marblehead for the selectmen.