|The Marblehead Messenger's famous nameplate
by designed and drawn by Childe
Hassam and commissioned by N.A. Lindsey. He was paid five
dollars. On March 13, 1830, the first native Marblehead Newspaper
was published, The Marblehead Register. After about three
years it failed and subsequently other papers emerged: The
Mercury, in 1848, The Essex County Times, also in
1847, The People's Advocate, 1849, The Ledger, in
1859, The Marblehead Mirror, in 1860, The Marblehead
Chronicle, 1868, and in December, 1871, The Marblehead
Messenger, became the dominant Marblehead newspaper for more
than a century. At some point before the Civil War, The People's
Advocate and Marblehead Mercury, was published. The combined
newspaper's slogan was, apropos: "Independent in everything
-- Neutral in Nothing." Also of note was the Essex Statesman,
1881 to 1884, and The Marblehead Enterprise, 1891. Much
later The Marblehead Mainsheet, published for about a
year in the mid 1980's, and, of course, The Marblehead Reporter
published its first edition on October 18, 1964 and became the
Town's dominant newspaper. The Messenger was ultimately
purchased by North Shore Weeklies, and in turn North Shore Weeklies
purchased the Reporter. Today the Reporter is published
by Community Newspaper Company, which owns an extensive chain
of newspapers in the Eastern United States. Marblehead Magazine, which
published from 1980 to 1994 in print and thereafter on the world
wide web, published its first edition on May 1, 1980. Another
internet effort of note was The Marblehead Advocate, which
published for about a year in 1997.
The nameplate was saved from the Great Fire of June 25, 1877 by the publisher and perhaps the most welcome edition in its glorious history was published the morning after the fire. As Roads put it, "Never before since its establishment, was the Messenger more welcome to the citizens of Marblehead. Then for the first time they realized the value of their local paper, and appreciated the energy and business enterprise of it proprietors, N. Allen Lindsey & Company.
The Marblehead Messenger's noble nameplate is currently relegated to a page heading in the second section of the Marblehead Reporter.
There also was a Marblehead Neck newspaper, Manataug Pebbles, which was published in the 1880's.